India To Host 13th Conference of Parties of Convention On Conservation of Migratory Species
- The 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the conservation of migratory species of wild animals (CMS), an environmental treaty under the aegis of United Nations Environment Programme, is going to be hosted by India during 15th to 22nd February 2020 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
- Representatives from 129 Parties and eminent conservationists and international NGOs working in the field of wildlife conservation are expected to attend the COP.
• India has been a Party to the CMS since 1983.
• The Conference of Parties (COP) is the decision-making organ of this convention.
J&K Government Grants Divisional Status to Ladakh Region
- The State Government of Jammu and Kashmir issued a notification of creation of Ladakh as 3rd Division in the state.
- Divisional status would facilitate this region in a great way to progress. Routine administrative clearances for Leh and Kargil can be obtained at Divisional headquarters in Leh. Apart from that, new Division also brings opportunities of employment of different levels in various departments for the locals.
2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit Held in Guwahati
- Union Minister of State for Tourism KJ Alphons and Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated the 2nd ASEAN-India Youth Summit at Hotel Taj Vivanta in Guwahati.
- Over 100 youth delegates from Vietnam, Laos, Brunei, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and Indonesia took part in the summit tag-lined Connectivity: Pathway to Shared Prosperity, organised by India Foundation and the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
Boori Boot Yollo festival celebrated Nyishi tribe in Arunachal Pradesh
- Nyishi tribe celebrated ’52nd Boori Boot Yollo festival’ with great enthusiasm to welcome spring and a successful harvest. It is celebrated in the month of Feb.
- Nyishi is the largest community in Arunachal Pradesh, found in Daporijo, Upper Subansiri Locale and Raga and Dollungmukh ranges of Lower Subansiri Region of Arunachal Pradesh.
2nd ASEAN – India Youth Summit concluded in Guwahati on 7th February
On 7th February 2019, 2nd ASEAN – India Youth Summit concluded in Guwahati which was conducted to strengthen the mutual cooperation among ASEAN countries. It was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and Union Minister of State for Tourism K J Alphons.
- The theme of the summit was ‘Connectivity: Pathway to Shared Prosperity’.
- Headquarter: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Established: 8th August 1967
- Secretary-General: Lim Jock Hoi
India inked MoU with Bangladesh to train its 1800 civil servants
On February 8, 2019, India and Bangladesh have signed an MOU for training 1800 Bangladesh Civil Servants under Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DAR&PG).
i. The Mou was signed between the National Centre for Good Governance (NCGG) and the Ministry of Public Administration, and Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh for the tenure of 6 years.
ii. This agreement is considered to be the second time National Centre for Good Governance entering into an MOU for a training program for Bangladesh Civil Servants.
iii. Under the first MOU signed in 2015,1500 Bangladesh Civil Servants have already been trained in NCGG.
New Delhi hosted ‘Indian Ocean Rim Association’ meet
Indian Ocean Rim Association meet was organised in New Delhi in collaboration of Ministry of Home Affairs with the Ministry of External Affairs and National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) solely based on Disaster Risk Management.
The US approved the sale of two missile defence systems for Air India One
On February 7, 2019, the US agreed to sell two of its advanced missile to India for Air India one.
- US approved the purchase of the two systems known as Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures (LAIRCAM)and Self-Protection Suites (SPS) at cost of USD 190 million,
- to enhance the security of planes flying the Prime Minister and the President.
- The purpose of the LAIRCM programme is to protect large aircraft from man-portable missiles.
- To purchase these two missile defence system, in the interim budget Rs.1084 crores have allotted and these missiles are to be in India in the year-end.
RBI Raised Collateral-Free Farm Loan Limit From Rs. 1 Lakh To Rs. 1.6 Lakh
- The Reserve Bank of India raised the limit of collateral-free agricultural loans to Rs. 1.6 lakh from the current Rs. 1 lakh with a view to helping small and marginal farmers.
- The Union Budget had also announced measures to boost the farming sector in addition to the annual payment of Rs. 6,000 to small and marginal farmers. Currently, the banks are mandated to extend collateral-free agricultural loans up to Rs. 1 lakh. This limit was fixed in the year 2010.
- RBI 25th Governor: Shaktikant Das
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata.
Weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai clinched gold at EGAT Cup in Thailand
The 24-year-old World champion Manipuri weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu notched up gold at EGAT Cup in Chiang Mai city, Thailand.
- Mirabai Chanu has won 48 kg category Gold with an effort of 192 kg in the silver level Olympic qualifying event for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- She lifted 82 kg in snatch and 110 kg in lean and jerk to finish on top of the event.
- Thailand Capital- Bangkok,
Currency- Thai Baht
- Manipur Capital – Imphal,
CM – Nongthombam Biren Sing and Governor – Najma Heptulla
Oscar-nominated British Actor Albert Finney Passes Away
- Oscar-nominated British actor Albert Finney passed away peacefully after a short illness. He aged 82. He was a five-time Oscar nominee who began his career at the Royal Shakespeare Company before making his mark in film.
- His big film break came as “angry young man” Arthur Seaton in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.
International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation is observed on 6 February
February 6th is observed as the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), which is also called as Female Genital Cutting (FGC) that is, removal of all or part of a female’s genitalia for non-medical reasons.
- The UN officially commemorated the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation to remark to fight against FGM on February 6, 2003.
- The theme for the year 2019 is #EndGFM